''GUADALOUPE…MARIEGALANTE…ANTIGUA'' Edinburgh: John Thomson ,engraved by Kirkwood & Sons, c. 1814. Very fine extra large folio engraved map with original hand-coloring. Folded as issued - some toning along the centerfold due to atlas tab. (Ref: Phillips #731). (Image size: 19 1/2 x 23 1/4’’).
This map depicts the islands of Guadalupe, Antigua and Marie-Galante. Each map shows the topographical features with major towns, villages, mountains, water routes and islands identified.
Guadeloupe is actually 2 islands (Basse-Terre and Grande Terre) separated by a narrow channel. It was discovered by Columbus in 1493.
Antigua was also discovered by Columbus in 1493. It is just 12 miles long & is part of the Leeward Islands.
Marie-Galante is located in the middle of the windward group of the Lesser Antilles in the Caribbean Sea southeast of the island of Guadeloupe. It was discovered in 1493 by Christopher Columbus, who named it after his ship "Maria Galanda”.