Original leaf from a medieval manuscript Breviary. Red-ruled for 30 lines of Latin text, written in double columns with dark brown and red ink in fine rounded gothic book hand on animal vellum. (150 x 105mm - 6 x 4.2")
Nine two-line illuminated initials alternating in red and blue. The prick marks used for ruling the leaf are still evident along the outside edge (usually trimmed when the leaves are bound).
France (Loire Valley?), c. 1470.
The text continues writings and commentaries from the early Church Fathers and Doctors. During the Medieval era "Doctor" was bestowed upon four Church Fathers (Saints Gregory, Ambrose, Augustine and Jerome) in recognition of their contribution to theology or doctrine.
The red illuminated ''N'' (verso) begins a commentary by St. Ambrose on the Book of Luke: ''Non quasi ignorans dicit; esse Spiritus Sancti..."
A Breviary is composed of many books (prayers, hymns, psalms...) painstakingly but carefully written by hand, and used by monks and priests to conduct their daily services.
Presented in an archival 14x11'' mat