Very detailed view of “SACRAMENTO-CITY in Californien”: from the German publication of Meyers Universum. Published in Hildburghausen, c. 1848-52. Steel engraving with later hand-coloring. Image size: 4 x 6 1/8''.
Sacramento was part of the original land grant obtained by John Sutter in 1841. The discovery of gold on his property in 1848 changed the whole history of California. Sutter’s Fort became the site of a mining town, which eventually became the capital of the State in 1854. The name of Sacramento was first applied to the place in the advertisement for the sale of ground-lots in 1848.
A very early and rare view of Sacramento. The detail is remarkable - with a magnifying glass, one can see the names on buildings and many activities in the streets !
Presented in an 11 x 14'' archival mat.