“COMITATVVM BOLOGNIAE…” Amsterdam: Willem J. Blaeu, c. 1635. Fine engraved map with original hand-coloring. Verso text: Latin. (Image : 15 x 19 ½ ”)
This very attractive early 17th century map depicts the Boulogne region in northern France – on the English Channel.
Most towns, cities, forests, and waterways are identified. Boulogne was taken by Henry VIII of England in 1544 – returned to France in 1550.
The beautiful and elaborate title cartouches, ships at sea and coat-of-arms further enhance the map.
Blaeu was founder of the leading 17th century Dutch cartographic firm. “The achievements of the firms of Blaeu were remarkable, & the palm for supremacy in map production in any age must be awarded to the Blaeu” (Tooley: Maps & Map-Makers, p. 33).